Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Veggify!

I haven't posted much recently about our continuing endeavors to cram more fruits and veggies into our lives. TL is on board with me and we are on a course to veggify every meal we eat. In the past month or so I have taken Instagram photos of some yummy breakfasts that we have eaten and thought maybe I would throw these out to inspire others.
This breakfast salad was inspired by many of the Chef Brad shows I've watched. He mixes a cooked whole grain with some fruits and a sweet vinaigrette, topped with some kind of nuts. I cooked some kamut, and mixed it with some fresh pineapple, oranges and bananas. The dressing was also inspired by Chef Brad. I found a fruit-flavored flax oil that is DELISH! Mixed with a little balsamic vinegar and tossed with the fruit. I topped it with raw cashews. I feel SO good when I eat this way for breakfast.
My man loves his eggs. This was inspired by a commercial I saw on TV, I think it was IHOP. I sauteed some red pepper, green onion, mushrooms and spinach and topped it with a fried egg. Hubby man doesn't like cooked spinach, so his doesn't have it. There's usually about a cup of veggies underneath the egg. YUM!
Here's another, a kind of egg hash. This one was inspired by Real Simple Magazine. I can't remember the exact contents, but I know it has sauteed cauliflower. It was surprisingly good and hubby man liked it too. My secret code is, "Is it a keeper?"  If it's a thumbs up, then I will make it again. I have definitely had some thumbs down meals!
Here's another yummy salad that was inspired by my dear Hispanic sisters. It has shredded cabbage, carrots and cilantro.  I toss it with a little rice wine vinegar and salt.  It tastes DELISH with all Mexican food and I've even eaten it with fish tacos or even in a corn tortilla all on its own as a vegetarian taco. 

Of course we still have green smoothies.....drinking a little more of them as the weather heats up.  I would LOVE to get any more ideas on veggifying meals so SPEAK UP if you are reading this and share some good stuff with me!

2 comments:

Kerin said...

Oh.. believe me.. you are miles, and miles ahead of me on the veggie eating track.

I wish I likes veggies.
I like a few..but not as many as I should.

All those ideas look delish though.. and I'm going to have to give the egg breakfasts a try.

Keep up the good work! You inspire me to try harder :)

Reno said...

Your meals look delicious! I am vegefying all my meals also but they are pretty plain and not nearly as delightful as yours look.