Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day!

16 Verily I say, that inasmuch as ye do this, the fulness of the earth is yours, the beasts of the field and the fowls of the air, and that which climbeth upon the trees and walketh upon the earth;

17 Yea, and the herb, and the good things which come of the earth, whether for food or for rainment, or for houses, or for barns, or for orchards, or for gardens, or for vineyards;

18 Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season thereof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart;

19 Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body and to enliven the soul.

20 And it pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man; for unto this end were they made to be used, with judgment, not to excess neither by extortion.
D&C 59:16-20
I'm grateful that a loving God has given us such a beautiful earth to provide us with all that is needed to sustain us physically.
I believe that it is my responsibility to magnify the stewardship of the tiny piece of earth that I have been allowed to have, to beautify it, to make it productive and lovely and useful for myself and my family.
I don't agree with all of the "green" philosophies that are out there, but I do feel a responsibility to keep my corner of the earth beautiful and not waste the resources that I have been blessed with.
I remember years ago making a goal as a young women not to litter the environment and that goal has stayed with me throughout my life. I have tried to teach my children to respect their environment and not trash the outdoors. I hope they have absorbed those teachings.
Happy Earth Day!

Now go plant something!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hip Hip Hooray for Earth Day!

Allyson said...

Yep, we try to do our part too! Happy Earth day to you too!

Sherral said...

I love your philosophy and the scriptures you chose! Good job!

Patrice said...

You are a great example to us all.

Joy For Your Journey said...

I agree. I don't believe in all the green extreme, but I do feel we have a stewardship over the earth and need to take care of it.I think it is a good philosophy to increase the beauty/cleanliness of wherever you are. Thanks for the reminder.