I just purchased this happy little number. "Be different!" I concluded, rembering the times when collecting luggage from the baggage claim and watching endless rows of black upon black upon black suitcases file by, and grabbing the wrong bag numerless times....
So why would I post my latest red acquisition? But of course, it's a trip! A week from today we will be winging our way to parts eastward and me kicking and screaming at least half way there.
I came to the startling conclusion recently that I do not like to travel. I like my routine, I like sleeping in my own bed. I like my home. I hate long rides on airplanes and cars. I realized this when reflecting on trips as a child, I would either get sick or be unsettled for a few days prior to the trip. (i apologize mom!)
The following is time line that proceeds as soon as TL announces, "We're going to ........[you fill in the blank]
1. Six months to a year before trip: I am truly excited. I pencil in the dates. "Way cool!" I think. My enthusiasm depends upon how far away the trip is scheduled on the calendar.
2. Two to six months before the trip: I have managed to successfully ignore the fact that I am going on said trip in two to six months. I shove the thought of the trip out of my brain as soon as it touches my consciousness.
3. One month to two weeks before trip: I realize, yes, I have to face going on the trip. I begin to panic, as I realize that I have do schedule work, school, kids, church, appointments, food....etc. etc. I reluctantly begin to make plans.
4. Two weeks to one week before trip: My enthusiasm increases slightly when I purchase a few new clothes for trip, but then wanes when I realize I do have to go on said trip.
5. One week before trip: I panic, realizing I have one week left. I begin to think, "I can't go on this trip! I have x,y,z to do!" or "we can't afford to go on this trip!"
6. Night before trip: I finally pack, usually overpack, worrying that I might need some article of clothing or medicine on trip. I sleep restlessly.
7. Day of trip: We wake up early, I am groggy, pull myself together, stomach churning, to get to airport.
8. We take off: I finally relax a little, realizing that maybe it is okay to enjoy trip-but then realize we have ....... more hours until we get there.
9. Return home: Wow-we had an incredible time-but boy, am I glad to be home!
So just for fun, can you guess where we are going this time???? (No fair guessing immediate family-you already know!)