Monday, July 13, 2009

Good Reads

I think the heat has fried my brain because I have no thoughts to blog these days. I'm totally uninspired. Yesterday it was 115 with no relief in sight.


With the heat and the amount of traveling I've done this past few weeks, my activity of choice is reading. I recently finished three books, all by the same author, the first is one of my all-time favs!

"These is my Words" by Nancy Turner. I read this years ago and have always LOVED this book. I didn't realize that there was a sequel until my sister-in-law handed me a stack of books to read before heading out on a trip."Sarah's Quilt" is the next in the series and I was actually near the end of it and reading while waiting for my car to get serviced. A random lady said, "that's a really good book." I agreed and she said, "there's another one after it." REALLY? So I headed off to Borders, and read it on the latest trip.I have loved following the life of Sarah Agnes Prine, a tough lady living in the Territory of Arizona 100 years ago. I'm wondering if there'll be another???

Nancy Turner lives in Tucson, AZ and she expressed my thoughts exactly about living in AZ in the summer. "When the temperature gets over 100, I slow down like a lizard on a rock."

My sentiments exactly Nancy.

4 comments:

Reno said...

I loved those books. Now may I recommend one I recently read? It's called The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. You'll be entertained and learn some history at the same time. A really good read.

Reno said...

Oh, and I feel like that lizard here in southern Utah even though we are about 5 degrees cooler than you are. Summer heat turns me into a slug.

jen said...

I LOVE These is My Words. It is one of my favorites too. Haven't read the others...will have to add to my LONG list.

alpinekleins said...

Hello there! I read "These is my Words" and really enjoyed it. Our book group did it last year. It reminded me so much of the heritage that I am aware of with my grandmother. So it was a meaningful read for me.

Enjoy!
Kristin

whew! 115 - oh my ;(