Wednesday, August 12, 2009

First Day of School

Hey ladies-it's that time again! Time to book that appointment to the spa, time to relax with a good book and a box of bon-bons.....



Ha!



Who am I kidding?

My baby went to school today. It's been 10 years since I sent her off, skipping, to 1st grade. My oldest was 22 years old and my baby was almost 6. Was I weeping and wailing? Well, sorry to say-no. I had had babies and toddlers at home for 22 years.....

But it is a little strange this year, a little less drama this morning as the school kid left, a little quieter. I'm approaching that "empty nest" with mixed feelings. Elation that I will eventually have an empty house, except with kind of a sad feeling that my most important work is done.



Well, maybe not quite.

11 comments:

Reno said...

My baby will be skipping off to Grade 10 tomorrow.
And my 20 year old will be starting classes soon also.
I'm not quite ready for that empty nest thing- although my oldest is 37 so I should be ready. Guess it's cause I had a break before these last two. Got my second wind.
But tomorrow, while I'm all alone, I'll be scrapbooking all day.

Allyson said...

She has grown into a beautiful young women. For some reason your blog is all messed up....its green, am I the only one seeing green?

Momza said...

HA! Love this post! it rings too true!
My baby will be in 3rd grade...and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Go get yourself a pedi and a chocolate bonbon!

Patrice said...

Oh, you are an inspiration! I'm glad you see your kids all growing up righteous and happy.

LaSchelle and Kurt said...

Well my baby will just be 4th grade but my oldest is a Senior! That is pretty freaky!!!!

jen said...

Alyssa looks so cute, but ha I love the photo of Dan. Now THAT is real life. Heehee.

LHammer said...

Empty nest is a bummer, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You know how you crave the quiet? Well, I'm craving noise now.

Joy For Your Journey said...

Oh, I hear ya!! My baby is in 10th grade this year. When did that happen?? I get so sad when I think about her graduating and leaving home. And as for the relaxing and bon bons . . ha ha!! That would be nice.

Nancy Face said...

She's so cute! :)

My baby is in 9th grade and he's 3 inches taller than me!

Anonymous said...

Mine will both be in school tomorrow for the first time. It means I will get four whole hours to myself for the first time in almost 6 years. Am I happy? No, of course not. :(

Unknown said...

It's so weird how you are so sad to see them go to school, but it is so nice at the same time...haven't quite figured that out quite yet...i think it goes back to the garden and having joy and sorrow. You can't have the one without the other.