Friday, August 20, 2010

The Cucumber Saga Pt. 2

Please don't hate me because of my beautiful cucumbers......

I love how pretty they are-with their scalloped edges, who knew such a homely thing on the outside could end up so purty?

So, what did I do with them?

I gave two three ***(see below)  away.
I cut up one and made a cucumber salad which is guaranteed transform a cucumber hater into a cucumber lover. And well, for cucumber lovers, well, it's over the top! (I'm one of the former)

Sorry-no photo, but the salad was DELISH....so here's the recipe....

Creamed cucumbers

5 cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced (uh in this case, about 1/2 cuke!-no peeling involved)
1 bunch green onions with tops, chopped
1 cup mayo
1/4 c. evaporated milk (I used real cream..mmmmm)
1/4 c. vinegar (I used Bragg's apple cider kind)
1/4 c. sugar (I used agave nectar-remember to cut the proportion in 1/2-it's sweeter)
2 drops hot pepper sauce  (didn't do this)
1 t. dried parsley flakes
1 t salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/4 t. garlic salt
1/4 t. onion salt  ( I used garlic powder and onion powder-less salt)

Combine cucumbers and green onions in a large bowl. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. Combine all remaining ingredients. Pour over cucumber mixture and mix well. Refrigerate for several hours.

I added some dill weed also. It's kinda watery because of all the water in the cucumbers after sitting-but I promise, you'll lick the bowl!

And yes, RhondaLu, I think older veggies are not as tasty, but I scraped out all the seeds from the center and these guys were amazingly sweet and mild. I think it's because of the variety-

Granny J-I'm going to try the recipe for the refrigerator pickles, except my family doesn't like sweet pickles. So I guess I'll hog them all for myself.

*****And guess what.....I found another one yesterday!  Yup, same size. 2 lbs.......

P.S.  Miss Liss has resumed blogging. Go make a comment and make her wonder where you came from. {giggle} (mother revenge).   Here's the link

2 comments:

Momzoo said...

I am going to grow those next year, they are pretty!

Rhonda said...

thanks for answering my question! LOL and they look WONDERFUL all purdy like that!

Oh and p.s. your mom has a facebook account? She's already SUPER cool just for THAT! :)