Friday, October 31, 2008

Friday Flashback

I have to admit, Halloween is not my favorite holiday. For a young mother with many children, it creates a huge amount of stress. I used to dread it every year. Someone always started talking about their Halloween costume in August and it filled me with terror every time.

First, picking the costumes, then dressing the little children who are wild with excitement and eager to get out for the treats just free for the askin'. Then you have to try to get said children fed something semi-nutritious prior to the treat free for all.....then, you have to ration out the treats so as to avoid sugar highs and tummy ache blues.


The costume thing, well, that pretty much put me under. I am not a creative person when it comes to making a fabulous costume out of a few plastic bags and construction paper. So walk with me through the years of mediocre costuming........


A white pillowcase and baby powder on the face make a perfect ghost for a toddler barely starting to walk.....

This was the year Karate Kid was all the rage. Someone told me Jessica looked just like Pebbles in The Flinstones, so a piece of fabric and a few stitches, voila, we have Pebbles! Cleopatra came to visit us from centuries long ago. Dance costume extraordinaire.Thank heavens again for old dance costumes!! This was the year I had a 2 month old baby (#7) I found the little devil hats and capes on pre-printed fabric. We used them for many, many years-and not just for Halloween. (my scrapbook skills make me cringe every time I see these photos!)


Pajama tops work GREAT for Halloween costumes. So do plastic grocery bags for treats.

This old coat was recycled many times, first as a spy and then add a few whiskers, an old droopy hat and now you are a bum....

Ahh Halloween......one holiday I will NOT miss with young children. It's more fun being the grandma and planning the party to get the kiddies likkered up with sugar and then let their mommies and daddies take care of them.....(hee hee)


One thing I will miss.............


Sneaking around to inspect the candy bags and sampling a few treats here and there...


P.S. Be sure to tune in tomorrow for an exciting post!

6 comments:

Pancake said...

WOW, wonder what is going to happen tomorrow! Love the flash back!!

Kassi Jane said...

love those pictures how funny

Patrice said...

I just finished feeding my kids cottage cheese to balance their blood sugar. After being in Greece, I had NO time for costumes, so we are pretty simple this year, too. I'll post some pics, but I am sure they won't be as exciting as yours promises to be!

Lori said...

Love the old pictures!

Granny J said...

O Marilyn.....DITTO!

jen said...

hahaha, NICE pictures. Yikes! I like Halloween, but the costume craziness does stress me out. I am enjoying sneaking a few goodies from the overflowing pumpkins...