Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I Threatened and I Threatened, and I Finally DID IT

Buying birthday presents for a teenage boy is a nightmare. What do you get them? For the last few years I have asked my boys, "What do you want for your birthday?" They reply, "I don't know-money."Sheesh, how fun is that? So I would say, "If you don't tell me what you want, I am going to get you a Barbie!" Well, this year I finally followed through with the threat:
After the laughing was over-I presented a few "theme" gift bags. Theme: Mouth=Chapstick & Gum....Theme: Car-holder for his phone and new steering wheel cover. Theme: Entertainment: New earphone for ipod & ipod gift card. Then the piece o' resistance....
The Card. Now, I must explain. I really don't like the "*art" word-

But it's just so...................him.....

P.S. Yes, he did get his money....

Happy Birthday Bubba-D!

8 comments:

linda crandall said...

I would have done the same thing :)

My boys never tell me what they want. It is so much easier buying for girls!

Tell Budda-D Happy Birthday!

jen said...

Heeheehee! I love it! Can't wait to hear about his reaction.

The Duncan Proect said...

I love this. I have encountered the same "show me the money" mentality. A couple of ideas I have used to make it festive. Crumple up the bills and put them in a helium balloon. Lillian Vernon sells a "Money Tree" that hold folded bills. I have also done the gift card version of a cookie bouquet. Teens are funny--I have an older daughter that likes it both ways--wants to be surprised but wants to choose what she gets.
The Barbie thing was hilarious.

Yvonne said...

Happy Birthday to your son. Way to go, mom. Next time he will definitely TELL YOU WHAT HE WANTS ; )

(Thanks for stopping by and for commenting.) That is so great that you live in the area where Brent served.
We had such a great time on our recent visit.

Amy said...

AAHHH!! Hilarious. Good job on following through with your threat, Mom!

Jillybean said...

I'm so impressed that you got him the barbie!
I hope all of his friends were there to see him open the gift.

Unknown said...

This is so my kind of Birthday present/presents...love all the gifts, but esp the barbie.

And, really, who isn't happy to get some money?

Suzie said...

that's awesome. esp. the Barbie!



But I did like the card.