Friday, April 11, 2008

We Interrupt This Digging.......

To rest my aching back and bid a fond farewell to my fall/winter/spring flowers........

Ye have served me well.....made me happy when I drove up to my house....



Purple Lobelia.. "Little Purple Pansies"


Striking Red Geraniums...

For as lucky as we are here because we have a full year growing season....
Alas the temperature is going to rise....
And it will be 100+ soon and my now happy flowers will all look like this......

My summer flowering choices are limited to these:


Vincas, vincas, vincas..

Which I cannot grow anywhere I have planted petunias because apparently they hate each other and vincas shrivel up and die immediately...

Or maybe some zinnias or some of these semi-succulent types which can withstand the withering, blistering, oven-like temps of the summer....



{sigh}.......faretheewell...

6 comments:

Allyson said...

Yes, I too am DREADING the Summer heat that is upon us. It does seem that they need to get a better variety of flowers that can withstand the heat of Az. I wish we could have Tulips here in Az.....I love the look of tulips, tulips, and more tulips.

Suzie said...

another glimpse into your life.
who knew of the perplexities of Arizona heat V. flowers?
also, the terrible feud between Vincas and Petunias. Can;t we all jsut get along?

sandalloons40 said...

I hear ya. try putting some under your biggest tree. so, I shall take a photo soon and place it on my blog, this is what keeps my plants cool in the summer and makin it. I pull everything under the mulberry tree in the summertime.
I shall post and show you soon.
Look forward to the eggs being delivered hopefully, saturday morning as No school deliveries, as you can have an egg-citing breakfast perhaps.

Unknown said...

I love geraniums...my mom always grew those all year in CA...in TN, you can only get them in the summer months.

kristie said...

Our bulbs are coming up! It is the first time we have been able to plant stuff. Now, if it would stop snowing, then I could think about the garden.

linda crandall said...

Wow it will be 100 soon!! Yikes we are barely getting close to 70.

We are excited for our bulbs to bloom. After that we are re-doing our flower gardens in the front and maybe the back - we will have to take some pics and blog about them.