Tuesday, May 27, 2008

She's Off!

It's that time of year again....

And she's off....to enjoy another year of the highs and lows of girls camp, hopefully to strengthen her testimony and have a little fun.
I want to take a moment to give thanks and appreciation for all the Young Women's leaders out there who manage to take a bunch of hormone-laden teenage girls and make girls camp a wonderful experience. I admire you-I thank you-and I'm glad I'm not you!!! (I already gave my heartfelt thanks to the leaders this morning)


As I'm reflecting on girl's camp, I realize that I have never been to girls camp. Not once-ever-as a young woman. I went once when I was a stake YW leader and 7.8 months pregnant with Miss Liss above but that's the extent of my girl's camp experience. It seemed like my dad always planned our family vacation to coincide exactly with the date of girl's camp so inside of singing camp songs and toilet papering the neighbor's tent, we were trekking through Utah in the family camper or somewhere else in the western U.S. And I don't think I'm really unhappy about that.
Manana: Elder Steve's latest photos......postponed due to the meningitis intermission.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just sent a note to our Young Womens president volunteering to drive or whatever. What a way to wrangle an invite. Some very sweet memories of love and acceptance at Girls Camp. Your post made me ponder and appreciate.

Jillybean said...

Do you realize what you just did?
You said that you never went to girls camp, and that you are glad you weren't going now.
That's the best way to guarantee that you'll be called to be YW camp director ;0)

linda crandall said...

How exciting!! It is Ashley's first year this year!

I remember when Shane went to his first scout camp. I was almost pusing him out the door...and then I actually found myself sad...I surprised myself. I thought I would enjoy some of the peace and quiet!! Amazing how much we really do love having them around!!

Allyson said...

I loved all my years at Young Women camp. Camp Shalom was awesome! She will have a blast!

Lori said...

Girls camp...I am sure she will have a great time. Is she going to Camp Lomia? I am the camp director in our ward and very nervous about it. I haven't been to camp since I was in YW's. It is also Lindsey's first year, I am excited to be with her there!

Lynell said...

I have such great memories of YW camp as a girl and as a leader. I hope she has a great time and comes back full of exciting stories.

Pedaling said...

you have beautiful kids- i hope her camp experience is wonderful. i loved girls camp!

Suzie said...

as a long time attendee at Girls Camp as a Stake YW leader, I can attest that it is truly a remarkable thing. I have had so many spiritual moments at camp!

Have fun cute girl!