Friday, January 4, 2008

Resolutions and Rocks

I guess it's finally time for me to reveal my New Year's Resolutions. There is a lot of talk around the blog world about resolutions and the "word" for the year. Here's a few of my resolutions:

1. Try to get Bubba D's eagle project completed without killing him first.
2. Try to figure out how to get a treadmill in my house without adding on another room.
3. Try to find nutritious recipes that my kids will actually eat.

So, well, I guess I don't really believe in New Year's Resolutions. (I hear a collective gasp). In years past I have vowed and resolved to do many things, some of which went by the wayside by the end of January or I tried to accomplish so much that I was ready to enter the funny farm by the end of January and went by the wayside anyway.

To illustrate my theme, or word for the year I share the following story:

A guy stands up in front of a room with an empty glass jar. He asks, is the jar full...well... no...Then he adds 4-5 big rocks. Is the jar full?.....well... yes....oh, but then he fills the jar with sand. Is the jar full?.....well....yes....oh, but then he fills the jar with water. Is the jar full? Well, yes now it is....

The point to this story is the discovery of what the big rocks in life are. If I do the most important things first-the big rocks-well, then the rest kinda doesn't matter. So I guess my theme, resolution, or word for the year is Rocks. What are my rocks?


Spiritual

Physical

Relationships

Service

Talents

So this year I will be putting those big rocks in my jar first and then the rest will just follow.....

1 comment:

jen said...

love this! i love that story. priorities first & then everything else falls into place. :) i need to be reminded of that often.
~J